Scientific research on coconut oil has revealed health benefits that affect your entire body, inside and out.
You’ve heard good things about it and now you have a tub of it sitting in your pantry. So how do you use coconut oil?
1) Cooking at High Heat – Some oils are unsafe to cook with at high temperatures, coconut oil is a great alternative. Check out our Guide to Cooking Oils to find the healthiest cooking oils for whatever meal you are creating.
2) On Toast Instead of Butter – Simply use coconut oil instead of butter on your toast.
3) Eat it by the Spoonful – Coconut oil is that delicious and healthful. Enjoy one spoonful each morning.
4) Smoothies – Add one tablespoon of coconut oil into your favorite smoothie recipe and increase your energy with the oil’s MCTs. Check out this post for the Top Smoothie Ingredients.
5) Fry Eggs – Lightly coat the bottom of your skillet with coconut oil to create a non-stick surface and delicious eggs.
6) Popping Popcorn – A sweet twist on a classic snack! To make stovetop popcorn, you need a heavy-bottomed pan. First, add the coconut oil and popcorn to the pot. Coat the area of the pot with the oil, and use just enough popcorn to make a single layer over the bottom of the pot. Give the pot a little shake to make sure all of the kernels are coated with oil. Next, place the pot over medium heat. Put the lid on the pot, leaving it slightly open so that steam can escape. It should take about five minutes for the popcorn to pop completely.
7) Popcorn Topping – Instead of butter, melt a little coconut oil and pour it over your popped popcorn. Then sprinkle lightly with Himalayan crystal salt.
8) Oven Baked Sweet Potato Chips – Preheat your oven to 400 degrees. Thinly slice sweet potatoes to about 1/8” thick. Place slices on a baking sheet and brush lightly with coconut oil. Bake for about 15 minutes or until chips are lightly brown. Add salt to taste, and serve with salsa or dip. (Or just eat them plain – either way they’re delicious!)
9) Replace Vegetable Oil for Baking – Next time you make your favorite brownie recipe, replace the vegetable oil with coconut oil. Your friends will be begging you for the recipe.
10) Pan Frying – Next time you fry up a batch of sweet potato fries or a piece of chicken, use coconut oil.
11) Grilled Cheese with Coconut Oil – No need for butter the next time you are making a grilled cheese sandwich.
12) Coconut Oil Coffee – Adding a spoonful to your coffee is a delicious way to start your day with a huge energy boost! Here is a great recipe for coconut oil coffee.
13) Homemade Granola – Check out this delicious recipe for coconut granola.
14) A Spoonful in Tea – Allow some coconut oil to melt and mildly flavor your next cup of tea.
15) Salad Dressings – A simple recipe for a salad dressing with coconut oil can be found here.